Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Thoughts on my drawing/painting/installation practice

What do I want to make this term for my interdisciplinary studio class?
I want to make large scale drawings/paintings/installations that deal with the structure of looking.
One of my profs recommended the book "Vision and Painitng: The Logic of the Gaze" by Norman Bryson. I've read the first chapter already and despite it being verbose in some sections, I think it will be interesting for the theoretical underpinnings of my practice. The Plinian model of representation is something that I want to question ie. painter as communicator of perceptual material to viewer as the site of reception eager for perceptual satisfaction.
I want to use the "mark" as my tool, building block. The poetry of the artist's hand is important to my work, not in a heroic sense, ie the grand gesture, because life is not heroic. Life is a series of small moments that accumulate into a lifetime. The mark is a measure of moments.
Perhaps large fields to immerse your field of vision, again Kusama, Guston.
Philip Guston

Yayoi Kusama
I want to make some experiments/process based works because I have a habit of stumbling onto things that have a lot of potential.

Why? Why should anyone care?
Something that Bryson already touched on in the first chapter was that the success of a painting using the Plinian model was based on the speed of which the viewer consumes the perceptual material presented by the painter. Any interuption is seen as negative. I can tell that this model is antithesis to my existing process, but it's interesting for me to know why and how. I think this will help immensely.

No comments: